Thursday, August 21, 2008

Well, this is NOT the next thing that I wanted to post...

Well, I think you all probably know what I am going to say. Last night I got the dreaded call... Eagle was career changed. Obviously, from the short amount of time in the kennel (5 days) it was a medical issue. As it turned out, he has a genetic problem with his knee. They told us that it would go unnoticed if he was a pet, but it was so severe that it would blow out after working in the harness for only a year! They also said that it was too severe to become a canine buddy (something else they were considering, he loves kids) and D for D might not accept him. My CFR, Celeste, said that she was sooo dissapointed because he was one of the best dogs from her territory! I met quite a few trainers at the campus, and they were all looking forward to seeing Eagle at the campus, but I guess it wasn't to be. What is ironic is that I also have a genetic issue on the same knee!!! If he is not accepted by D for D I will not be getting him back. The deal from the beginning was that if I wanted to continue raising then I couldn't keep them. I know EXACTLY how Megan feels!!! He was my perfect puppy, and dropped for medical reasons. This also coplicates matters for his sister Eliza, who was going to be a breeder. Now she might not as there is a genetic problem in their lines.

Warning: the following is a vent of emotions, you do NOT have to read this if you don't want to. the rant will be in pink.

I don't know why, but I feel so... cheated. I mean... I worked sooo hard, and he was so good, and then he was only at the campus for 5 DAYS!!! They didn't even get to see just how good he really was. In a way I even feel that Eagle was cheated. Everyone around him could tell that he just wanted to work. He was MADE for it! And now he probably won't be able to do hardly any sort of work at all. I am still in shock. I don't really think that it has fully registeres yet. The worst part is that it was nothing Eagle or I could have changed. It feels like all of the work I have put into this dog is just wasted.

Okay. I feel sooo much better now.

On a happier note, this last Monday I recieved a transfer puppy named Fraklin. He is 7 months old, and was started by a raiser in our group. She was the one that raised Willhelm, who by the way is graduating with Splash on the 30th!!! I forgot to tell you guys that happy news... sorry! *sheepish grin* Anyway, Franklin is a MYL that has some issues. He does NOT like to work. In fact, he hates it! This is a good learning experience for me, because I was always working on toning down Eagle. With Franklin I am working on motivating him. He is content to sit and watch the world go by him. We think that he would be a great pet for an older couple!!! hahaha! He is a real sweety, and loves to cuddle up in your lap. I am currently working on food protocol (sp?) with him, because food is the only thing that motivates him at all. And it barely keeps him moving, at that. Everyone keeps asking me is he is sick, but it is just his personallity. Just yesterday it took me over 5 minutes to get him out of the car, and I ended up having to drag him. No joke. I will post poctures later!

7 comments:

Elizabeth and Peyton said...

I'm so sorry that Eagle was career-changed. It is really hard when they are dropped for something out of your control, and so soon! Your work definitely wasn't wasted, though. Whoever gets Eagle, even if it's just a pet adopter, will be extremely grateful for all your hard work. You made him into a well-adjusted, sweet dog. His new owners will be very thankful for that. Remember, we all go through this at some point or another, and it's just HARD!

That's neat that you took a transfer. Hopefully Franklin can get over his issues and be a good guide dog. Sorry for the long post. :P

Emily said...

I'm so sorry about Eagle being dropped from the program. I know you're probably in shock right now, but don't feel like it was a waste. Whoever gets him will be very greatful for your work and the amazing dog you have provided them with. Overtime, I'm sure you will be able to accept it more. Once again, I'm very sorry! And congrats on your new pup! Have fun with him!

Erin said...

I totally can understands your emotions right now...see future blog post ;-)
But training your dog to be well-behaved and obedient, is never a waste. You won't have to worry about him bouncing around from home to home due to home issuses!
Working in a Doggie daycare we see a lOT of this, because people don't take the time to work with their dogs as DOGS!!!
Anyways HTH!!
Give your puppy a hug for me :-))

Lisa and pups said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. Eagle was a great dog and you can be SO proud of the job you did. Your feelings are completely understandable. Congrats on Franklin!

Anna said...

Oh Taelor, I totally and completely understand everything you're saying. As you saw on my blog Arturo and at least one of his brothers was dropped for cataracts. I fought over his 10-day stay at GDB for months. Arturo wasn't PERFECT but he was truly a working dog at heart. Nothing made him happier than going on an outing. Getting him to recall was a struggle, but once he got his recall date, he seemed to coast the rest of the way. Then then he goes back and *bam* he's dropped. And I couldn't keep him either. My deal was I could only raise one puppy, and he couldn't stay. Guide Dogs will find a fabulous home for Eagle. I didn't think it could be possible to find anyone who would love Arturo as much as I did, but GDB found the impossible. Anyway, if you need to vent feel free to e-mail me.I think you're on the teen raisers yahoo group, so am I.

Congrats on Franklin--hopefully he'll get over his silly work problem soon! :D

Kelsey, Keno, Mallory, and Chappelle said...

Oh my gosh! Taelor, this is such sad and shocking news! It even terrifies me, because now I feel like I'm sitting here waiting for the same call. Medical career changes are the hardest to deal with in my opinion, because you're right, Eagle was meant to be a guide. Unfortunately there's something wrong with his body that makes it impossible. I won't tell you not to feel cheated, because you should, I know I did with Chappelle. But do know that even though Eagle won't be a guide, he will be something AMAZING. Because that's what you've put into him, part of your amazing self. Way to go.

Good luck with Franklin....what a good experience for you! :D

Katlynn and Ryder said...

I am so sorry to hear about Eagle. I am *crossing my fingers* that I will not have to deal with that call with DeSoto! But either way I will see DeSoto in harness or with a ball in his mouth at my house. Medical CC`s are very hard becasue, it`s not the dogs falt. I am sure over time you will be able to accept it.

Franklin seems like quite a handfull. My new little guy, Focus is a handfull also!