Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Finally... an update!

So yes, August was a very significant month for me! Fun Day, new puppy, 16th birthday, new york city! But I'll get to that later. To begin... Fun Day!


My parents and I were up by 4 and at the campus by 7 to set up our booth. Definitely a great time to arrive! Not many people are there, good parking spaces can be found, and it is a great time to meet individuals as there isn't too much confusion. I wasted no time in getting Pilaf adorned in a festive lei.
(in the kennel is another pup from our club, Cielo, who happens to be Cabana's brother! I would never have guessed, because they look nothing alike! =D)

I spent the day working at our booth (we were the club selling the white t-shirts with the surfing pup on the back [my design! =)] and the blue "priceless" shirts.), and having fun meeting people, getting Pilaf's pedigree, snooping for information about my golden (about whom I still hadn't heard anything), and enjoying looking at the parents of all of my puppies. I also got some news about Franklin! I asked the head trainer for D4D how he was doing, and she said that everyone adores him, and he is now being fostered by her through training. She said that she just loved him, and that they aren't having any issues. I was so pleased. I also looked in the breeders digest for his parents, and he looks exactly like his mom. It almost made me cry to see it, as it just made me miss him more. Please graduate Frankie, 'cause I really want to see you again!

We then went to Pilaf's puppy meet, and out of 8 siblings, 2 were there, as well as their momma, Ryka. It was great to see them, and it is hilarious how similar Ryka and Pilaf are personality wise. They were like 2 peas in a pod! Polo and Pilaf were pretty similar, especially in looks, but Persia must have been mostly like her father, because she seemed to be the odd one out. Darker and definitely more relaxed! (Pilaf getting super excited about her momma. No, she usually isn't this rambunctious, but I let her play a bit since I had been working her pretty hard all day)

(from L to R: Ryka, Persia, Pilaf, and Polo)

Altogether, Fun Day was a great day! I enjoyed meeting people (I saw and semi talked to you guys, Emily and Kelsey, but I was too shy to introduce myself. You are both really pretty, and Burgess and Tahoe were stunning! And I knew Burgess was big, but... wow. Shelly, I had a great time speaking with you! I hope you enjoyed your vacation. ;]) and spending time at my "happiest place on earth", GDB! God willing, I will be interning there next summer!

So, about a week later, I got a call from guide dogs saying that my puppy had just landed from The Guide Dog Foundation in New York, and I could pick him up anytime I wanted. His letter was "c". Of course, I convinced my sister to drive me down the next morning, and we arrived at straight up 9 o clock. I was so excited, and soon found out that everyone loved him because he was the only golden puppy in the kennels at the time. I saw his bag in the kennel kitchen, but I made myself resist the temptation of looking at the name. Pretty soon they found my boy and brought out my bundle of fluff. Introducing... CARTIER (Kar-tee-ay) Isn't that so very French? Puppy Raising thought that he might have originally been named "Carter" by GDF, but already had a Carter, so they changed his name to something similar. Here he is!


He is definitely a funny fellow, but I love him all the more for it. I will hopefully get better pictures of him later!

Oh, and my 16th birthday was on the 31st (Fun Fact: Megan's PIT Fullerton's birthday was the same day!), and my parents surprised me with a trip to NYC!!!! We went just about everywhere, and even saw the Broadway musical, Wicked. So fun. I have been wanting to see it for years, and it was even better than I thought it would be. Altogether a great month!

8 comments:

Briana said...

Cartier's soooo absolutely ADORABLE!!! Give him a big hug for me!! hahaha! Good luck! =D

Megan and Orleans said...

Sounds like an amazing month! I love NYC I want to go there again sometime soon, Wicked is absolutely phenominal!! Cartier is adorable and I LOVE the name, kinda a mouthful but it has character. And how nifty that you and Fuller share a b-day. Happy late birthday to you. :D

Emily and the Labradors said...

I'm a little behind here, but it sounds like you have been having plenty of fun! And Cartier is adorable! I look forward to hearing more about him!

Maddie, Betsy, Jorinda, and Petuina said...

Hey,
I wanted to reply to your comment on Cabana's blog, but figured it would be kinda rude to have a conversation on her blog :p
My question is, Gabrina has been in California for over 3 months. If she had a soft trachea wouldn't she have been career changed by now? Do you think it's possible that she has a "softer" trachea. Not one that will affect her training, but they just don't want to risk it getting pasted on. My CFR said that she will be entering training soon. If you can answer any of my questions that would be awesome. You seem to know so much and I love learning about GDB! You can see my blog post about Gabrina's collar cough at growinggabrina.blogspot.com. It's the most recent post. You can also email me at shoots4life@Yahoo.com.
Thanks so much! I haven't been able to talk to my CFR or Leader about it and I want to know everything possible!

Lauren said...

So cute- what an adorable golden and great name!

janelle said...

Hi Taelor! Great Blog!! That Cartier is TOO CUTE for WORDS!
Very nice job on your posts!
Love to you!! Mrs. L.

Mary Ann said...

Cartier - how cute is that. Are you raising two puppies together? How is Pilaf doing? I saw Polo last Saturday at the Junior Blind of America Resource Day. He is getting big - he is definitely a little bigger than Pilot. I didn't get a picture of them together - wish I had.

Elizabeth and Peyton said...

To answer your question, it's quite possible that I might raise an upcoming Holly puppy. I'm not really sure. I'd like to overlap with two Holly pups for sure! :)